Weyarn is a village about an hour to the south-east of Munich, east of the Mangfalltal, taking the Salzburger Autobahn (highway). It is not spectacular, but the St. Peter and Paul’s church, the monastery founded by the Count of Falkenstein in 1133 and the surroundings are historically interesting.
Unfortunately, one cannot enter the church, there is a glass barrier and bars.
The modern houses in Weyarn present a pleasant contrast to the old monastic building which accomodate the Priory, the Town Hall and the café with its whitewashed vaulted ceilings. The café can be strongly recommended, their cakes are delicious, plum and heavy cream : Zwetschenschmand, apple or cherry crumble, cheese and cream with tangerines : Käsesahne. They also serve lunch tidbits and small meals, such as fresh pasta with chanterelles. There is a large terrace with shady trees or you can sit indoors.
Weyarn is part of a Baroque Route which you can follow throughout Bavaria. Many lovely churches, especially those built by the Asam brothers, are scattered all over.
“Tu felix Landshut, nube” must have been the idea of the politically arranged marriage Landshuter Hochzeit 1475 celebrated every four years (next one in 2021) in Landshut – head of the Land Lower Bavaria. The betrothal between the Bavarian Duke Georg der Reiche and Hedwig Jagiellonica, daughter of Kasimir IV Andreas, King of Poland and the wedding festivities are depicted on the walls of the Prunksaal, the Magnificent Hall of the Old Town Hall, Altes Rathaus – or simply go there for the next magnificent celebration, lasting several weeks with parades and knights’ tournaments in historical costumes dating all the way back to 1475.
The town itself started out with the castle Burg Trausnitz and several long, very narrow streets along the river, with the textile and ceramic trade and tanners closest to the water. The Great Fire of 1342 conveniently burned down all the wooden houses in the middle, thereafter only brick and stone houses were built, leaving us with today’s view of the Altmarkt.
The Catholic Church being “mightier than the sword”, there are quite a few churches worth visiting, especially the one recently converted into an exposition hall for works of art by Fritz Koenig, whom everybody will recognize as the creator of The Sphere in front of the World Trade Center and found under tons of debris after nine/eleven, now removed as a symbol of hope and survival to Liberty Park. Fritz Koenig (1924 – 2017) was fascinated by Arabian horses and had lovely ones in his stables and grounds in Landshut. Another of his works, Bildschriften, usually located in Unterföhring, is currently on loan to Florence. Near his former property is the Berufsfachschule für Keramik, a world-renowned school for ceramics.
The nuns of the Ursulinen Kloster were among the very first to promote free education for girls, which they successfully did until not so many years ago. Currently there is a fine exposition ZUgeneigt on their history till 11 November 2018, Wednesday – Sunday.
symbol of war
Don’t miss out on the Rosentage (rose festival) in the castle Burg Trausnitz in June (Park and Ride with a shuttle bus up the very steep hill from the Grieserwiese). Do enjoy some typical Bavarian food and (what else?) beer! (Augustiner of course) while you are in Landshut. Enjoy!